Thursday, August 19, 2010

Windows update ate my life...

You may not remember (some may be too young) but there was a time when you did not have to update Windows.

This was a glorious time when people used PCs to work on documents, spreadsheets and yes even play a game or two. We used MBASIC, CBASIC and Apple BASIC to write small programs and now and then we would listen to the glorious tones of our 1200 Baud modems as we connected to CompuServe, Prodigy or our favorite BBS to catch up on the news or chat with friends. When we were done we would park our Hard Disk (lucky sods) or eject our floppy and shut down to go pop that new movie from BlockBuster into the VCR and grab a pint while we fast forwarded through the previews…

That time is gone.

I boot my computer (or wake it up) in the morning and click “yes” to the Windows Update message (that is if your computer did not reboot automatically after updating, of course killing that super-cool game demo download I had going during the night), then I click “yes” to updating the Anti-virus update, oh yes please the engine and the DAT files… Oh wait looks like my CD Burning software needs an update as well? But of course “yes”. Wait what’s that? I should update my media player as well, um if you must, “yes”. My browser? Are you absolutely sure? Ok fine go ahead, “yes”…

Several reboots later I get down to work.

Long day, I am going to go relax and play a little Xbox (or PS3 or Wii, oh you get it) fire that puppy up and get ready to do some “fragging”! Oh come now, you want me to update my system BEFORE I can play? Fine! “YES”. What! You want me to update the GAME as well! “yes”, “Yes”, YES” (button mashing sound)…

Well at least I got my frustration out on that game, time to watch that new Blu-Ray I got from Netflix. Yeah some Sci-fi! Oh OK honey sure we can watch the romantic comedy I know you have been waiting to see it. Pop in that disk and hit play… YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS! I need to update my Blu-Ray player to support the new features on this disk?

I give up, I am afraid to start my car in the morning.

Sorry, I have to go… My PC needs to reboot for an update.

No comments:

Post a Comment